[vorbis] some questions: client for ultralinux and streaming

Kristoff Bonne kristoff at belbone.net
Wed Aug 16 01:42:24 PDT 2000

Greetings,

I am rather new to OGG or streaming, so I like to ask some questions:

First, clients:
I have a sun ultra-sparc 5 running linux.
What clients can I use?

The xmms (that came with the redhat 6.2 installation) does not have the
vorbis-pluging, and -I guess- the xmms-plugin that's on the vorbis-website
is for intel-linux?

Where could I get the source for the plugin and (if
necessairy) documentation on how to compile it?

- Is there no text-based client (ala 'mpg123') or a client for mac?

Second, streaming:
Where can I find info the streaming-possibilities of vorbis?

- (As I am a network admin) what are the possibilities of UDP-streaming
(if possible via multicasting).

- What are the possibilities to use vorbis for'low bandwidth, low
quality' streams (like news-radions) or over 'high-latency'
paths. (e.g. satelite-links).

As vorbis is patent-free, it would be interesting to see if it could be
use to streaming radio-stations from '3th world countries' (is this term
still polically correct? ;-)), but these countries usually run over
satelite-links and/or use lower-bandwiths.

- As there already exist a projects to provide streaming and 'splitting'
of mp3 (icecast, ...), are there any plans to 'incorperate' ogg into such
a project.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                      belgacom internet backbone
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff) International Connectivity