[Vorbis-dev] Decode ogg file while downloading: what are the good practices?

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Sat Nov 3 21:52:26 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-03 02:18 PM, Matthieu Regnauld wrote:
.
> When, for example, 15 seconds of the file were downloaded, I called
> OggPlayer::open().
> After that moment, even if the file was fully downloaded, I was able to
> seek in the file, but only between 0 and 15 seconds (whether I
> useov_pcm_seek() or even ov_raw_seek()).

That all seems consistent. Glad the work-around was helpful.

> That said, isn't there any function that allows to rebuild that seek table?

Nope. I don't recall anyone with this particular usecase in the past.
Players have tended to assume the resource is non-seekable, or
implemented seek over http.

Doesn't look like it would be too hard to add an ov_reopen() or similar,
if you're interested in contributing something. I think it would still
have to be an explicit call before the seek, since it's considerably
more expensive than a normal seek.

Is the overhead of closing and re-opening the handle significant on android?

  -r