[Vorbis-dev] Question about changing default metric for codebooks

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Tue Jul 14 22:04:08 PDT 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015, LM wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM,  Martin Leese wrote:
>> Vorbis is history; Opus is the future.  You
>> might, instead, like to improve Opus.
>
> A lot of Open Source applications are currently using vorbis/libvorbis
> instead of opus.

Vorbis also remains the best lossy compression choice for slow embedded
processors and legacy hardware, though opus does seem to be a lot faster
now.

> The sdl_sound library also uses libvorbis and doesn't offer the option
> to use opus.

I don't know why the uptake has been so slow.  It's not like opus support
is difficult (the high-level vorbis and opus APIs are almost identical).

>  Same is true of sox.

Sox has opus support as of v14.4.2, but it's limited to decoding.  Again,
not sure what the holdup is.