[Vorbis-dev] Need for help about using vorbis in embedded system

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Wed Feb 29 17:25:41 PST 2012

On 29 February 2012 15:37, Mashal al-shboul <shboul8989 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> i would like ask about what i found on the website(vorbis.com) telling that
> integer-only vorbis is available as decoder,does this mean that integer-only
> processor (not supporting floating point or weakly supporting it through
> co-processor) in an embedded system can't have vorbis operating well ?

Processors without floating point can use the the fixed-point decoder.
But there is no fixed-point (integer-only) encoder. So for your
application you'd have to use the reference encoder with software
floating point emulation, which is indeed slow. I'd expect a 400 MHz
XScale could still do that in realtime, but the best approach is to
just build the reference code and see if it works.

 -r