[Vorbis-dev] command line perl tool to create ogg/Vorbis picture comments

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Tue Apr 17 04:36:19 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 April 2012 04:21, Silvia Pfeiffer <silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> https://github.com/imalone/oggflacblock
>>> Or direct from (n.b. BSD license):
>>> https://raw.github.com/imalone/oggflacblock/master/oggflacblock.pl
>>>
>>> Now handles png and jpeg, the only notable dependency is the Perl
>>> Image::ExifTool module. (Which, I've noticed, can also read Vorbis
>>> comments)
>
>> Nice work! You should put it in the xiph repository or release some other way.
>>

> Thanks. But what do you mean? This is release fd9c72b011. :)

Ah oops! :-)
I somehow only saw the pastebin from the previous email.

> Actually I've had to go and check whether I had Xiph svn access it's
> so long since I used it (I do). I don't know whether this could go
> into vorbis-tools or not due to the addition of Perl and requirement
> for a couple of Perl modules, it might need to be its own package.

Yeah, github is good enough. Don't worry, I was confused.

> Additionally I'd want to make sure the character encoding-handling
> conforms with the spec on the wiki before suggesting it as an official
> Xiph tool. With that caveat would be happy to stick a version tag on
> it and add it officially somewhere.
>
> Things that would be nice to have in a full package:
> Adding linked image handling would need some work and I'd need a bit
> of feedback on it. Was never particularly taken with that bit of the
> specification due to security implications for remote links and the
> fragility of local links, has to be done carefully.

Are you suggesting we have two ways of associating images with
chapters: URLs and base64 images? If so, we should have two different
vorbiscomment headers for these.

> An accompanying extractor/decoder would be useful also and could
> probably be done through the Exif library too. Not entirely trivial as
> you need to allow scanning/querying available blocks and selection of
> image for decoding. And again the issues around linked images (though
> the lazy way out is to just report the link target and claimed image
> information). Wont be writing one this evening anyway.
>
> Looking at github reminds me that I'd done some work a while back to
> allow vorbis-tools to suppress the contents of METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE
> tags, but never got round to adding it to the official release.

Good stuff!

Cheers,
Silvia.