[Vorbis-dev] command line perl tool to create ogg/Vorbis picture comments

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 03:58:45 PDT 2012

On 17 April 2012 04:21, Silvia Pfeiffer <silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

>> https://github.com/imalone/oggflacblock
>> Or direct from (n.b. BSD license):
>> https://raw.github.com/imalone/oggflacblock/master/oggflacblock.pl
>>
>> Now handles png and jpeg, the only notable dependency is the Perl
>> Image::ExifTool module. (Which, I've noticed, can also read Vorbis
>> comments)

> Nice work! You should put it in the xiph repository or release some other way.

Thanks. But what do you mean? This is release fd9c72b011. :)

Actually I've had to go and check whether I had Xiph svn access it's
so long since I used it (I do). I don't know whether this could go
into vorbis-tools or not due to the addition of Perl and requirement
for a couple of Perl modules, it might need to be its own package.
Additionally I'd want to make sure the character encoding-handling
conforms with the spec on the wiki before suggesting it as an official
Xiph tool. With that caveat would be happy to stick a version tag on
it and add it officially somewhere.

Things that would be nice to have in a full package:
Adding linked image handling would need some work and I'd need a bit
of feedback on it. Was never particularly taken with that bit of the
specification due to security implications for remote links and the
fragility of local links, has to be done carefully.

An accompanying extractor/decoder would be useful also and could
probably be done through the Exif library too. Not entirely trivial as
you need to allow scanning/querying available blocks and selection of
image for decoding. And again the issues around linked images (though
the lazy way out is to just report the link target and claimed image
information). Wont be writing one this evening anyway.

Looking at github reminds me that I'd done some work a while back to
allow vorbis-tools to suppress the contents of METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE
tags, but never got round to adding it to the official release.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk