[Vorbis-dev] How floor1 modifications may affect final (de)coded samples?

Jesús Díaz Vico jesus.diaz.vico at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:37:33 PDT 2009

Hello,

I've been "playing" a little with the floor1 encoding, and my game has posed
me a question. I've been modifying (just curiosity) manually, and randomly
(not too great modifications), the quantized [floor1_Y] values, just before
coding them with the codebooks. As, if I'm not wrong, the [floor1_Y]
obtained are then removed to get the residue vectors for each channel, I
(naively) expected the variation introduced manually in the [floor1_Y]
values to be compensated when removing the floor to get the residues.
Although the final modified file sounds quite similar to the original one,
the decoded pcm wave samples are a little bit different (using a simple
Euclidean distance measure, normalized by the number of pcm samples, the
distance is about 0.05 between the original and the modified versions, may
not be a good psycoacoustic distortion measure, but in this game I'm just
interested in the pcm values). Finally, my doubt is: is this caused because
there may not be a quantized residue value to exactly compensate the
variation introduced in the corresponding floor value or am I
misunderstanding something?

Thank you.