[Vorbis-dev] Again: Next libvorbis release?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Mar 6 07:47:13 PST 2009

Am 06.03.2009 um 00:52 schrieb Ralph Giles:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

[...]

>> Another thing some people might find annoying are the boxes that
>> surround all hyperlinks in the PDF. I can turn this off, or
>> alternatively, make the link *text* colored. The colors themselves
>> are
>> also customizable. Just tell me what you prefer.
>
> It's true, I was annoyed by the boxes. (Great for debugging though!)
> I'd vote for a subtle text colour change.

To change this, replace
   \usepackage{hyperref}
by either this (for colored text instead of boxes)
  \usepackage[colorlinks]{hyperref}
or this (for no marking of links at all)
  \usepackage[pdfborder={0 0 0}]{hyperref}
Other options can be used to tweak colors, see <http://www.tug.org/applications/hyperref/manual.html#x1-90003.5
 >.

> The formulas should be checked against the source code. And possibly
> the history. Most of the differences are cosmetic though. The only
> serious difference I notices with the subscript index being $2j$ or
> $2j+1$. Or did I miss something?

No, I think that is the only difference, but it is serious enough, I
think (though the correct one is hopefully simple to determine for
somebody who knows the code).

On the long run, one should decide how to represent variable names in
the pseudo code, of course. But as I already stated, my goal for the
initial conversion was to be as faithful as possible :).

> Here's what I have as a build system patch.

Note: you must call pdflatex at least twice else the reference will be
wrong (at least if not *.aux files are present, e.g. on a fresh
checkout). In fact, right now I think you need to build three times,
according to the output I get from pdflatex; I am not quite sure why,
I'll investigate.

htlatex automatically runs latex several times, so that is fine.

> pdflatex and htlatex both work for me on Ubuntu 9.04. However, my
> older MacOS 10.4 machine with TeX Live 2007, htlatex fails with:
>
>  ! Undefined control sequence.
>  \xref #1->\autoref {#1}, ``\nameref
>                                      {#1}''
>  l.10 \xref{vorbis:spec:codec}

Well, I introduced the xref command to faithfully replicate the way
Docbook creates link text: It inserts text of the form " Section N,
``TITLE'' ", and I replicated that using autoref & nameref from
hypertex. The error above indicates that the nameref macro was not
supported in older tex4ht versions. Actually, looking at the texlive
SVN repository, they did support package nameref, just didn't
configure their hyperref extension to "know" that it contains nameref.

Therefore, please try this: add
   \usepackage{nameref}
does that help? If not, we can find other solutions (one would be not
to use nameref at all. Personally, I'd prefer that, I am more used to
writing refs as simply "Section N", but in the end that's a matter of
taste and the people in charge of the project / docs have to decide
that :).

If it does not work, could you try just removing the use of \nameref,
and see if it works then? I.e., use
   \newcommand{\xref}[1]{\autoref{#1}}
Just to see if there are any other compilation errors. If not, then I
think we should try to support TeXLive 2007 at the very least.

Does anybody here use MiKTeX on Windows? Would be interesting to know
whether it works fine there.

> And so on. Given this problem I've left the building the documentation
> off by default, and kept the generated doc files in svn for now.

That's probably a good idea in any case, not everybody has latex
installed :)

Bye,
Max