[Vorbis-dev] BUilding the docs

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 19:14:51 PST 2009

>  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/inline.xsl

Note that the URL says "release/.../current".  You can't count on the
current release of anything to be the same as the release you actually
used.  You should figure out the equivalent URL for the release your
version of DocBook and your build scripts actually expect, and to use
the URL with the explicit version number.

It's not just unreliable to hit the Internet to download all your
stylesheets just to publish your documents, it's also downright
*rude*.  You should instead install all those documents locally, but
then use an XML catalog file, that will then enable your tools to use
the Internet URLs as keys to lookup the file pathnames in the catalog.

Here for example is the catalog file I use for building The ZooLib
Cookbook - note that you'll probably want different http:// URLs for
the version of DocBook your documents expect, and you'll probably want
different file:/// URLs for each individual operating system on which
the documents are being processed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE catalog
   PUBLIC "-//OASIS/DTD Entity Resolution XML Catalog V1.0//EN"
   "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd">

<!-- This XML catalog file has local pathnames set up for MacPorts on Mac OS X:

		http://www.macports.org/
-->

<catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog" prefer="public">

<system
  systemId="http://www.docbook.org/xml/5.0/"
  uri="file:///opt/local/share/xml/docbook/5.0/" />

<uri name="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/profile-chunk.xsl"
	uri="file:///opt/local/share/xsl/docbook-xsl/xhtml/profile-chunk.xsl"/>

<uri name="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/profile-docbook.xsl"
	uri="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/profile-docbook.xsl"/>

</catalog>

I can see now that I myself made the mistake of using "current" URsL -
those should have been explicitly the DocBook 5.0 versions in my
particular case.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   I'm looking for a job in Silicon Valley:
     http://www.goingware.com/resume/cover-letter.html