[Vorbis-dev] Next libvorbis release?

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:23:52 PST 2009

I should also mention that if you were to port the doc to HTML instead
of using DocBook anymore, the use of a print-specific CSS stylesheet
will allow fairly nice hardcopies and PDFs with much less pain than
figuring out how to make the DocBook toolchain work on your platform.

Print-specific stylesheets would enable you to hide the website
navigation in hardcopies, and make hyperlinks look just like normal
text.  You can also un-hide stuff in prints that is hidden when a web
page is viewed on-screen.

Try comparing the following page in your web browser, to how it looks
if you print it - a Print Preview would be sufficient to see the
difference, without making a physical hardcopy:

http://www.geometricvisions.com/writing/questions-about-music/

The key is that the usual CSS link element is replaced with the
following *two* links, one for screen and the other for print:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
href="http://www.geometricvisions.com/site.css" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print"
href="http://www.geometricvisions.com/print.css" />

Note that the media attribute for one is "screen" and the other is
"print".  If you just had one kind of stylesheet, you wouldn't have a
media attribute.

Now compare my two stylesheets - you'll see how I make hyperlinks
appear as plain text in the print, and hide or unhide certain items
with "display: none" for some of the styles:

Screen:  http://www.geometricvisions.com/site.css

Print:  http://www.geometricvisions.com/print.css

I'm slowly but steadily providing print-specific stylesheets for every
web page I have.  I think they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

   I'm looking for a job in Silicon Valley:
     http://www.goingware.com/resume/cover-letter.html