[Vorbis-dev] Windows builds in general

Ralph Giles rillian at telus.net
Thu Apr 2 21:26:09 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Christopher Montgomery
<xiphmont at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know we have Win32 capable volunteers, and I'd appreciate some help
> getting up to speed as well as general contributions both getting
> win32 builds fixed up for the upcoming libvorbis release, but also
> deciding on a build system policy for Win32 in general.  Specifically
> 'which versions of the project files shall we officially support?  Or
> do we just decide to ship nmake?' etc.

So Christian Adam, who's maintaining the dshow filters, bought a real
copy of VS2005. Since the project file format is pretty much identical
to 2008, the plan is to support VS2005, and people with 2008 can just
convert. He has to use the real version so he can build for the mobile
targets, which aren't supported by the gratis express edition.

So that's the primary target. I don't know if VC6 support is still
important to anyone. Maintaining an nmake or xmingw32 build is
optional. (I actually had good luck with derf's xmingw32 makefiles for
theora; I was thinking about adding something similar for ogg and
vorbis just to simplify generating the dependencies for that.)

My recommendation is to remove the VC6 and VS2003 build directories,
verify the VS2005 project files work, and leave it at that.

 -r