[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonics Proposal summary.

e deleflie edeleflie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 05:29:00 PDT 2008

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4dtw69_44g5qmjf6t

>> If the ambisonic decoding will be done by an external 3rd party lib
>> (for all decodes other than the default stereo decode) ... then that
>> 3rd party lib will need to have access to the contents of those new
>> headers ... is this possible?
>>
>> I guess that could be integrated into some API call..... but is this
>> consistent with how Vorbis wants to do things?
>
> I'm not suggesting a 3rd party lib necessarily; we'd want to write and
> provide such a lib at a minimum.
> But yes, there's nothing wrong with libvorbis adding either an API
> call or extending the normally returned info structures to include
> ambisonics information.  The information would have to be made
> available regardless.

thanks Monty, that clarifies, and opens up the possibilities considerably.

BTW ... we are also trying to flesh out a cross-platform Ambisonic
'toolkit' library (3rd party lib) that we would envisage would be used
with the Vorbis libs and players such as VLC (or other).

Details can be seen here (but it is very early for this effort)
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4dtw69_44g5qmjf6t

Etienne