[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonia proposal (was Re: vorbis-tools 1.3.0 BETA - Help testing.)

e deleflie edeleflie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 22:54:13 PDT 2008

> Now, the only thing to do is reach a consensus in how to do this.  I
> remember the top suggestions to be:
>
> 1) use Vorbis mapping 1 as opposed to default's 0

That's what the draft spec assumes has been accepted.

The principle difficulty has been in how to order the Ambisonics
spherical harmonics channels in order for players to know which
channel is which.

The draft assumes that no more data can be included in the headers...
and has therefore come up with a proposal that allows working out
which channel is which (algorythmically) by knowing the total number
of audio channels.

So the question is .... do we really not have any access to more data
in the Vorbis header? (because if we do, the channel order might be
simplified).

Etienne