[Vorbis-dev] On merging aoTuV patches

Fabio fabio.ped at libero.it
Fri Nov 28 09:06:00 PST 2008

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Fabio <fabio.ped at libero.it> wrote:
> > using the reference xiph.org vorbis library which generate worse files
> > worse files
> > worse
>
> I'm sorry, but that's a bad choice of wording.  The reference encoder
> creates files far superior to MP3, which is what people are used to.

MP3 is a nearly 20 year old technology and mostly tuned for higher
bitrates. Vorbis will probably compete with the AAC (mainly sponsored
by Apple and its Safari browser) and WMA (Microsoft and Internet
Explorer) flavours in the lower-midrange bitrates (web streaming).

> The aoTuV tunings simply take Vorbis quality into the next level in
> some low-bitrate cases.

The aoTuV version can compete with AAC/WMA:
http://www.listening-tests.info/
but not the reference library:
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/VorbisEncoders

> This shouldn't be a worry for you.

It is instead, and at least for two reasons:
- when a web developer should choose between the reference xiph
encoder found in its application/distribution and AAC based only on
the quality it will choose the latter, so I (and other that only use
free formats) won't be able to listen to that music;
- if a developer will use aoTuV rather than the reference libvorbis he found in its application/distribution I'll get:
 * a higher quality at the same bitrate price, or
 * a lower bitrate at a comparable quality.