[Vorbis-dev] Vorbis documentation creation process

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Nov 27 13:45:17 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves
<justivo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/27/08, Christopher Montgomery <xiphmont at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We probably need to migrate the docs.

If you want to build the docs you have to get docbook working. I'm
fine with any path that generates reasonable looking output. Fop, for
example, might be up to the job these days.

Given that passivetex has gone unmantained, and apparently xmlto as
well, since it's just a wrapper that's supposed to call the most
appropriate tools to generate whatever format one reqeuests, we've
talked about giving up on docbook, and porting the spec back to html
or over to latex, like the theora spec. Either of those is work, of
course.

I'd suggest going back to html at this point. With a nice stylesheet
and mathml, it prints reasonably well, while it's still hard to turn
latex into html for online reference, which is probably the more
common use. The vorbis spec doesn't have nearly as many equations as
the theora spec, so the pain there is reasonable.

FWIW,
 -r