[Vorbis-dev] Vorbis, ambisonics and 'Vorbis Tools'

e deleflie edeleflie at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 01:45:21 PST 2008

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM, e deleflie <edeleflie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Progress has been made on the proposed draft spec for integrating
>> ambisonics into vorbis. We are not yet finished (should be soon), but
>> you can see the progress here:
>>
>> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4dtw69_3626qqq6st
>
>> In the draft spec, we have begun specing this out in Section 1.7 ...
>> but some of our members feel strongly that this should not be in
>> there.
>
> I would also remove it. It's not important that you cover the command
> line tools (IMHO) and it doesn't influence the Vorbis format in any
> way. Besides that it seems that not much work went into that part of
> the document. The proposed command line options are not compatible
> with getopt and inconsistent with oggenc's command line options. Also
> you completely ignoring the HVP scheme you introduced in 1.3.

There are still lots of discussion WRT the channel scheme. The spec
should not be read as 'complete'.

> 1.6 is also problematic. The URL comment field has nothing to do with
> Ambisonics,

Correct. Its just something that we would benefit greatly from. So
this is a 'nice' to have more than anything else. Does such a comment
header exist yet?

> the AMBISONICFORMAT is not specified at all. I would
> remove that, this could be specified later, if it's really needed.

This is incomplete... but the idea here is that since ambisonic
content can take on all sorts of channel configurations, it would be
beneficial to have a human readable  description of what
orders/components are involved (rather than opening it in an audio
editor, which may or may not be capable of displaying the header
info).

> 1.8 (streaming) is not needed. Ogg/Vorbis was created as a streamable
> format and I cannot imagine that anyone wants to introduce changes
> that prevents streaming.

OK, can other confirm that?

> The Appendix talks about H and P only and not about HVP. Also it would
> be helpful, if there is some explanation what H, V and P order means
> exactly.

its coming.

Etienne