[Vorbis-dev] Vorbis, ambisonics and 'Vorbis Tools'

Oliver Thuns oli+243897 at ml0815.streaps.org
Sat Nov 1 09:38:10 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM, e deleflie <edeleflie at gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Progress has been made on the proposed draft spec for integrating
> ambisonics into vorbis. We are not yet finished (should be soon), but
> you can see the progress here:
>
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4dtw69_3626qqq6st

> In the draft spec, we have begun specing this out in Section 1.7 ...
> but some of our members feel strongly that this should not be in
> there.

I would also remove it. It's not important that you cover the command
line tools (IMHO) and it doesn't influence the Vorbis format in any
way. Besides that it seems that not much work went into that part of
the document. The proposed command line options are not compatible
with getopt and inconsistent with oggenc's command line options. Also
you completely ignoring the HVP scheme you introduced in 1.3.

1.6 is also problematic. The URL comment field has nothing to do with
Ambisonics, the AMBISONICFORMAT is not specified at all. I would
remove that, this could be specified later, if it's really needed.

1.8 (streaming) is not needed. Ogg/Vorbis was created as a streamable
format and I cannot imagine that anyone wants to introduce changes
that prevents streaming.

The Appendix talks about H and P only and not about HVP. Also it would
be helpful, if there is some explanation what H, V and P order means
exactly.

The component names in the Appendix are not needed. There is no
agreement on how to name the components and it is not needed for the
Vorbis spec.