[Vorbis-dev] new release monday

Sebastian Pipping webmaster at hartwork.org
Sat May 3 09:42:11 PDT 2008

Ralph Giles wrote:
>>  - libvorbis.spec is generated but it is shipped through EXTRA_DIST?
>
> How do you suggest we ship it?

Not at all as it's generated :-)

>>  - I'd love to see us help promiting LZMA and also produce .tar.lzma
>>    files. How about fixing AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS with 1.10.1 and dist-lzma?
>
> I'd rather this get done manually until lzma is more widely
> supported. I don't mind you want to post an lzma version.

If the problem is the high Automake version I could hack
a release script together that
1) backups Makefile.am
2) patches Makefile.am to require 1.10.1 and use dist-lzma
3) restore the backup

Would you like that?

>>  - EXTRA_DIST lists seven .in files though they get auto-added
>>    as there appear in AC_OUTPUT. COPYING is also auto-added.
>
> Which version of automake did this start happenning? :)

No idea. As Autotools are perfectly installable without
root privileges I'd say we can expect up to date Autotools
from every developer. I'd say let's not live in the past
unless we really have to.

>>  - The change log is called CHANGES. Why not the Autotools-usual
>> name ChangeLog?
>
> Because it doesn't follow the ChangeLog format. It's just a summary
> of major changes; I find the per-commit format redundant when there's
> a public version control repository.

Okay.

>>  - Rename configure.in to configure.ac?
>
> That's fine at this point.