[Vorbis-dev] [xiph-commits] r15069 - in trunk/vorbis-tools: oggdec oggenc

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Wed Jun 25 03:03:18 PDT 2008

2008/6/25 Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
>> Hmm. Doesn't oggdec output the decompressed audio to stdout? IIRC the
>> help goes to stderr to avoid clobbering that.
>
> We are talking about the help menu that shows only with -h, so three
> things to note are:
>
> 1) it doesn't affect the audio output because it's not happening while
> the help menu is shown
> 2) stderr is for error messages, not common messages, hence the "correctness"
> 3) it's also about constency since oggenc also uses stdout
>
> I don't see anything wrong with this change, but if someone else
> doesn't agree I guess there's nothing to do but revert it.

Nah, discussion is better :-)

I agree with Ivo -- iff we're talking about the case where the user
explicitly asks for the help, by specifying -h or --help, then the
help text should go to stdout (and then the program should exit(0)).

In the case where the user types in incorrect arguments and oggdec
wants to print the help text as a usage hint, it should go to stderr
and exit(1).

Conrad.