[Vorbis-dev] libvorbis 1.2.2 RC1

Tuomo Latto djv at iki.fi
Tue Dec 16 11:21:37 PST 2008

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> On 12/16/08, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
>> FWIW, I'm no happy about adding 4K to the minimum size of the vorbis
>> headers.

[...]
> Considering this, 4k is a really small trade-off.

I think his point was that 4k equals several pages of written text.
That's quite a lot for comments, i.e. something jotted on a CD.
I think you'll find that even the most meticulous tag-aficionado
won't produce more than 1k* of textual metadata and, frankly,
if you need to put more that a couple of hundred bytes of stuff
there, rewriting the rest of the file isn't unreasonable..

*) E.g. the second example on http://reallylongword.org/vorbiscomment/
is under 700 bytes..

--
Tuomo

... Mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence