[Vorbis-dev] Codec Parameter for Ogg media types

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:32:15 PDT 2008

Hi Ivo,

I am happy to add a codecs parameter to the mime types where they are
being used to identify a file's content, in particular over a network.

We would have e.g. a audio file example.oga with the mime type
audio/ogg; codecs=vorbis . Or a video example2.ogv with mime type
video/ogg; codecs="dirac, speex". It makes a lot of sense.

It is one of the things I was planning to add to the RFC anyway. The
codecs parameter is not necessary for all uses of mime types, but
where it is helpful, it should be introduced, since we have now also
introduced bucket types. This makes us more mainstream and alike to
the way other a/v mime types work, too.

Feel free to go ahead and add it to the RFC - if you need help, let me know.

Cheers,
Silvia.