[Vorbis-dev] base64 ALBUMART vorbiscomment

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 17:57:11 PDT 2008

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about FLAC's own picture metadata block.

On 4/13/08, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How is that included in Ogg? Is it in a secondary header of the FLAC
> bitstream?

"The first packet is followed by one or more header packets. Each such
packet will contain a single native FLAC metadata block. The first of
these must be a VORBIS_COMMENT block. These packets may span page
boundaries but the last will finish the page on which it ends, so that
the first audio packet begins a page. The first byte of these metadata
packets serves also as the packet type, and has a legal range of
(0x01-0x7E,0x81-0xFE)."
-- http://flac.sourceforge.net/ogg_mapping.html

> Maybe we should consider providing this for any Ogg encapsulated bitstream?

Er, no?  That metadata block is really just for adding a picture.  It
has no other purpose, and I can't think of any case where an Ogg
bitstream needs static embed pictures aside for the albumart thingie.

-Ivo