[Vorbis-dev] base64 ALBUMART vorbiscomment (was Re: [ogg-dev] Ogg/Spots and Ogg/MNG)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 12:12:10 PDT 2008

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> On 4/12/08, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> any files with multiplexed pictures will now automatically be .oga, not .ogg.
>
> Yes, that is true, but .oga's intended "audience" really isn't Vorbis,
> but newer audio codecs in Ogg like CELT and OggPCM.  To everyone and
> their mother .ogg is "that O.G.G. thing that's like MP3 but open
> source", so while we do use .oga for Vorbis + multiplexed content it
> isn't a good idea to diassociate it from .ogg because that's where
> people expect to see Vorbis.

What I meant was really to tie into later on; you need new support for
this in the one area it seems to be a target: portable players.

> That, not to mention that by multiplexing visual content (an image),
> it should in theory become .ogv.
>
> Sorry, this is starting to get out of topic.

Semantics.  I don't think anyone is going to confuse a static cue-image
with video.

>> May well be problematic, I have seen one HW player which choked when
>> comments were too long. (Though the manufacturer did fix the problem
>> fairly quickly, which is why I keep pushing iAudio :) .)
>
> This is a big concern, and I wish I had more audio devices to test
> this out.  I only have a cheap brandless Chinese thing, but I did test
> yesterday a file with an ALBUMART string and it didn't choke.
> Hopefully, the majority are like it.  Most HW implementations probably
> don't even interact with Vorbis Comments.  Mine, for instance, only
> displays the file name.

Mine does read them, and it was probably an over-run bug in handling
that was hit.  Amusingly you might speculate that this will hit players
with better Vorbis support harder.

>> May make normal tag handling more difficult.  Harder to remove I'd say.
>
> How?  All the Vorbis Comments Implementations I have dealt with edit
> tag by tag.  If you want to remove a tag, you click delete tag, not
> remove character by character from the whole string.  Any
> implementation like that is already broken.

Yes, true.  But once your comment editor starts showing you comments
with uuencoded binary data you're already in trouble.

>> While application support may be harder, doing things like adding album
>> art on the fly or stripping it out will be easier.
>
> That really depends on the tools.  Using vorbiscomment one would
> simply tell it to kill the ALBUMART tag.  On the other hand, you'll
> need to use something like ogg-chop to get rid of a multiplexed image,
> as far as my understanding of handling multiplexed streams goes.

You can't with vorbiscomment (you have to dump the comments, strip it
and write them back, and vorbiscomment will not support safe
round-tripping if I recall correctly, due to the new-line thing).  You
can do it with the comment library.  So for a developer I think it's
harder to add/subtract images that are already Ogg encapsulated as you
just use liboggz or your own muxing (the already encapsulated is the
tricky bit).

>> Helps keep a bit of OggMNG momentum up.
>
> Er, I don't think albumart is the way to promote the use of OggMNG.

I meant on the development side, but you touch on that later.

>> Will need to provide a library if anyone is going to use it.  Need to do
>>   the full .oga stuff: Skeleton header, maybe CMML or M3F manifest
>> (though for this simple application a manifest is probably not
>> necessary, and omitting it is still less ad-hoc than the
>> uuencode/comment thing).
>
> The new file extensions only recommend the use of Skeleton.  CMML and
> M3F would only need to be added if there was a need for
> subtitles/lyrics or metadata, respectively.

(over-zealous editing?)
<no current>
>> HW player will support comment-based images anyway
>
> I thought you said it was only your player, which had been since
> fixed.  Have you found others that crashed/froze, too?

No, I was writing a bit too quickly.  Current players may not crash, but
they certainly wont know too convert the contents of an IMAGEDATA (or
whatever) tag to a picture.  This is the kind of thing people add to put
on their own players.

>> super-long comments
>
> You know, a JPEG is usually ~30 KB.  The Vorbis Comment spec states
> the information can be much bigger than that.

Yes, I was thinking about that.  The spec allows long comments, but
people don't always write expecting everything that's allowed.

>> muxing might encourage people to start thinking about .oga may be a good
>> thing.  Lack of current support either way means there is a free choice,
>> very much down to whether you can get someone interested in writing the
>> OggMNG static subset stuff
>
> I understand where you are going, and I agree with it, but I reckon
> that would be too much work for something intended only to please a
> small audience.  Of course the embed approach would lead to the
> creation of a liboggmng, which would then have other uses, but unless
> there's really a need for such library (I don't know), the community's
> efforts should be likely spent elsewhere.

Yes, I don't see the choice as being much of an issue either way.  I
can't help but feel the OggMNG thing is a neater solution if someone is
going to do it, otherwise the cheap-and-cheerful approach isn't going to
be too bad.  As to community effort, it's always down to what people
want to (or can get support to do).

--
imalone