[Vorbis-dev] base64 ALBUMART vorbiscomment (was Re: [ogg-dev] Ogg/Spots and Ogg/MNG)

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:57:56 PDT 2008

> I thought that the only decoders that have problems with such files
> are those based on earlier libvorbisfile, before Tahseen and Monty
> fixed it. Those based on other libraries (GStreamer, OggDSF, xine-lib,
> oggz+fishsound, etc.) have no problems with playing just the audio
> track.

Those you describe + MPlayer don't have a problem, but VLC for
instance does.  For some reason, single stream Vorbis files don't call
the Ogg demuxer used on Theora files.

VLC is the player the FSF recommends to play Ogg files (through their
PlayOgg project), which means many are using it.  That without
counting the distros that haven't updated to libvorbis 1.2.0, the HW
players, and companies that create their own closed-source decoder
implementation (I know very few, but still...).

My point, for those who are just now following the discussion on this
list, is that if we could avoid the risk of breaking players by having
users stick images in Vorbis files for something so superflous, it
would be for the best.  Thus the base64 thing.

> If you've found other players/libs with problems, we should fix them ...

I have already submitted a bug report for the VLC issue.

Another implementation which I suspect to be broken is the Helix
player, but I have to confess I haven't installed it yet.  I'm
unconsciously avoiding it after suffering for days debugging the
broken (Helix) player in the XO laptop (the OLPC thingie).  To be
fair, it wasn't Helix's fault, but still...

> If we do go down this path, let's do some testing with existing
> hardware and software players :-)

I would have it no other way.

Thanks for being open to the idea.

-Ivo