[Vorbis-dev] monthly meeting?

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Sep 24 20:21:35 PDT 2007

On 24/09/2007, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/09/2007, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The issue I'm concerned right now and would like to discuss is
> > regarding the vorbis-tools: no release in ages, no OggPCM support,
> > etc.  I would like to know where it's going.  I guess I'll file that
> > in the agenda.
>
> ISTR Conrad asking a while back for people to try using current
> SVN to shake it down.  In fact Fedora 7 has been using a SVN
> from April since release (it did take a while before anyone noticed
> a major oggdec bug though).  Definitely an item.

Right ... the last release was around July 2005. I applied a bunch of
patches from trac.xiph.org and distributions, and fixed some
outstanding bugs, in December 2006.

One of the patches included a new remote-control feature for ogg123,
which is a workalike for the similar feature in mpg123 allowing GUI
frontends to control playback and cue songs etc. Although this seems
to work ok in terms of running "ogg123 --remote" and typing commands
at it from the keyboard, I wanted to get some feedback from people who
would use such a feature through a GUI program before feeling
comfortable that it really works as it should. Perhaps that was a bit
optimistic, and the only way to get people to test that feature is to
release it.

I also did a bit of work to make the various programs in vorbis-tools
work consistently, with consistent documentation, man pages, help
output and so on. The code has gone a few years without much love, and
it would probably appreciate a few more people checking over it,
making sure all the options are documented and working etc.

As for supporting OggPCM, nobody has developed any patches implementing that.

As for oggdec, I was bitten by that last week when preparing some CDs
for a friend's wedding. As a result I was able to offer the happy
couple a matching set of coasters for their new home.

Regarding a meeting next week, I'll be flying to Australia on
Wednesday evening (Australian time), and not sure if I'll have net
access on arrival.

cheers,

Conrad.