AW: [Vorbis-dev] Controlling the vorbis encoder precisely

Robin Siegemund r.siegemund at digitalpublishing.de
Mon Nov 26 03:18:08 PST 2007

Ok, related to the replys from Eric and Monty there are 3 possible solutions

- 1. use lossless encoding like FLAC
- 2. insert large chunks of silence between the wave sounds
- 3. use completely seperate chained streams

-> 1. Flac can't be used because of disk space and bandwidth limitations.

-> 2. I also tried this variant but in that case my sounds don't start immediately because there's always some preceding silent and additional delays before hearing the sound are not acceptable.

-> 3. Seperate streams mean additional overhead because every sound gets its own header pages. I'm going to use 40.000 sounds (a word dictionary) in one file so about 40.000*3KB=120MB would be wasted for redundant data.
But what happens if I chain seperate streams of the same format but skipping their headers (except the first one)?. If this approach would do it why there's no vorbis function to reset the whole encoding process like having a new stream?

Robin