[Vorbis-dev] any "standard" to map more than 6 channels?

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 14:28:52 PDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Arnaud Sala <arnaud.sala at savoirfairelinux.com> wrote:
> You wrote that your Ambisonic solution will not use type 0 mapping, but
> are you defining your own new standard

I'm sorry if you misunderstood me, but it's not my solution, no.  It's
the amazing work of a few Ambisonic fans here in the mailing list and
on the wiki.  So far, it seems things are stalling because no one
proposed a way to make Ambisonic Vorbis files work with legacy
players/decoders.  We'll see how that goes.

> or do you know if someone is
> currently thinking of improving the type 0 mapping ?

I do not think so.  At least here it seems the Ambisonic solution will
prevail, since it has several benefits and advantages.

> Furthermore, I'm afraid that you  were right in the last part of your
> email. For the moment, nobody with experience
> in 7.1 encoding suggested me a solution...

Do not lose hope.  We never know who's lurking.

-Ivo