[Vorbis-dev] Streaming ogg vorbis to windows media player

Manoj Bist manoj.bist1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:55:18 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have been struggling with streaming ogg vorbis audio to windows
media player for a couple of days now with no success. I would really
appreciate if someone could provide more insight into this.  Please do
let me know if there is any other mailing list which would be
appropriate for a question like this. I posted this to vorbis mailing list.
However this issue could not be resolved.

Apparently it does work. Simply go to the following website

http://theclassicalstation.org/internet.shtml and click on the ogg
vorbis stream.

Alternatively you can open the following url in your windows media player.

http://audio-ogg.ibiblio.org:8000/wcpe.ogg.m3u

I have tried 3 streaming solutions(icecast2, Apache::mp3, mod_mp3) but
none of them can successfully stream ogg files to windows media
player.(All of them work well with WINAMP). Please note that the the
other two streaming solutions also support ogg vorbis(the name is a
misnomer since it contains 'mp3').  All the three streaming solutions
work for ogg-vorbis files when the client player is WINAMP.

My ogg files contain only audio and have been converted from wav to
ogg using oggenc.

I have installed ogg-codec from http://www.illiminable.com/ogg and
windows media player is successfully able to play ogg files on my hard
disk.

I would appreciate any response on this.

Thanks a lot for reading this,

Manoj.