[Vorbis-dev] Issue with the "Xiph license"

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Mar 16 13:30:29 PDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:16:13PM +0000, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> This is a valid concern, although this list is probably not the right
> place to discuss it.  Whatever.

This is the traditional default for xiph-wide issues; it has the most
subscribed core people.

> I have seen the Gentoo people having a tantrum, er, healthy discussion
> regarding this issue, so it is causing problems; minor ones, but then
> again, the fixes are minor too.

url?

> Unless anyone in Xiph opposes, we are now to refer to the license used
> on libraries as the New BSD License.  Alright?  Let's fix any instance
> where it may look otherwise.

Fine with me. That's the name according to opensource.org.

Probably the older references were to distinguish from the old,
advertising-clause BSD, which was "the BSD license" when Xiph
started. I guess that's no longer necessary, if it's confusing
people.

 -r