[Vorbis-dev] Issue with the "Xiph license"

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:16:13 PDT 2007

On 3/12/07, Sebastian Pipping <webmaster at hartwork.org> wrote:
> Both is wrong and both hurts Xiph. The license text is exactly
> that of the "New BSD license" [1] with the placeholders filled
> in with Xiph. It is the original text and therefore the original
> license, not a variant. But there are many places currently not
> reflecting this equality.

This is a valid concern, although this list is probably not the right
place to discuss it.  Whatever.

I have seen the Gentoo people having a tantrum, er, healthy discussion
regarding this issue, so it is causing problems; minor ones, but then
again, the fixes are minor too.

Unless anyone in Xiph opposes, we are now to refer to the license used
on libraries as the New BSD License.  Alright?  Let's fix any instance
where it may look otherwise.

-Ivo