[Vorbis-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Flash and native support for Theora and Vorbis.

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 16:53:33 PDT 2007

On 21/07/07, Tuomo Latto <djv at iki.fi> wrote:
> Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> > On 7/21/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Would they [Adobe] find it
> >> more acceptable to provide lower level APIs to components
> >> such as the MDCT allowing codecs built in Actionscript to
> >> operate more efficiently?
> >
> > How would this work?  I reckon the performance of a scriptting
> > language cannot compare with a high-level programming language.
>
> I believe that was his point. I believe [i]MDCT is one of the
> biggest resource hogs in Vorbis {en|de}coding?
> They are presumably doing their MP3/whatever support natively
> (as opposed to scripting language), so if they exposed the API,
> the performance of custom decode scripts, such as Tor-Einar's(?),
> could be drastically improved, maybe even up to a usable level.

That's exactly what I meant, enough interface to the native
routines used for other codecs to avoid having to do the
heavy lifting in script.  I should point out though:
1. I know nothing about Actionscript.
2. I have a rough idea how the Vorbis codec works, but not
   in detail.
3. I don't know what the relative times are that Tor-Einar's[1][2]
   decoder spends doing the various bits.  Things like the
   Ogg layer and the vector decode may be too specific to
   benefit from any kind of interface unrolling.  Still, probably
   a better chance of this happening.

[1] http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/vorbis/2007-January/026677.html
[2] http://flash.j-ogg.de/  The sound /is/ choppy, but though
   notice a bit a hesitancy in FF, it doesn't actually appear to push
   this computer too hard.

--
imalone