[Vorbis-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Flash and native support for Theora and Vorbis.

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 14:06:04 PDT 2007

On 21/07/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:

<moving slightly off topic, adding vorbis-dev>

> Adobe developers on Xiph lists have seemly passed the message that
> there was interest in seeing Theora and Vorbis support in Flash, but
> with no success, either, it seems.
>
> No one more than us want to see Flash players being able to work with
> Vorbis and Theora.  And Speex, too.  We cannot however force
> corporations to follow our bidding.

I'd meant to wonder out loud about this for a while now.
We are told Adobe's concern is that the size of the download
for Flash is critical for them and irrespective of the effort
involved in providing Vorbis (for example) support they need
a reason to justify the increase in size.  Would they find it
more acceptable to provide lower level APIs to components
such as the MDCT allowing codecs built in Actionscript to
operate more efficiently?

--
imalone