[Vorbis-dev] Re: [Vorbis] A Macromedia Shockwave Flash-based Ogg player?

David M. Cotter dave at kjams.com
Tue Jan 16 10:44:32 PST 2007

> Greetings, Mr. Cotter
And greetings right back

> I believe, there's some misconceptions on your statements.
i believe there are some misconceptions in your interpretation of my
statements.

> If you meant the resulting .swf files...
nope, i meant the flash player

> If you meant the Flash player, as I suspect you did, understand
> that it's there that the decoding is done, thus where the playback
> libraries are.
umm, did it seem that i did not understand that?  I thought *I* was
trying to say that, by stating that 2: it cannot depend on an
external library.

> No one would have to install the XiphQT (as you said) if there was
> support for all (or some) of our formats in the Flash player
that's exactly what point 2 was attempting to point out.  however
point 1 was that we do NOT want to make the flash player any bigger
(in bytes), which precludes us from including even more code, eg: the
vorbis decoder.

> Also,XiphQT is a pack of components for Quicktime, which is pretty
> much only useful for Mac OS X users.
sorry i wasn't clear on that, i meant to say vorbis decoder.

> Furthermore, you say that Flash has only one audio solution included.
well, this feels a bit nit picky, but  i said "we have an audio
solution".  that is, we have a solution for audio, and that there are
in fact a few encoders to choose from is an implementation detail.

> Take notice, as well, that half of those solutions are patented and
> require a license for use within Flash applications.
which means that the other half are already free.  so adding another
free one won't really give us "more leverage" as seems to have been
implied.  don't get me wrong, *I* personally would love to see Vorbis
get in there.