[Vorbis-dev] Bounty for function to monitor an OGG-VORBIS stream

Paul Martin pm at nowster.org.uk
Thu Aug 23 05:09:59 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 08:52:33AM -0400, George Baker wrote:

> I am looking to hire someone to write a function to scan a ogg-vorbis stream
> running on Debian etch and checking for two things. The first is static, the
> second is "dead-air". The function require no GUI, just read a configuration
> file for the url to scan and how many seconds of static to allow before
> flagging the static condition and how many seconds before flagging the
> "dead-air" condition. Once the condition is flagged, keep scanning until the
> condition stops unsetting the flag at that time.  If anyone is interested in
> picking up some cash for this please contact me off-list at this email address.

You'd need to define "static". Do you mean the hiss that you get when
an FM station is off-air? That's a tricky one. You're best turning it
into a dead air problem by enabling the receiver's squelch (mute)
circuit.

True dead air is a trivially easy problem. (Take the mean and
standard deviation of the lowest 99% of RMS samples over the given
period. If they're both nearly zero, you have dead air. Discarding
the top 1% removes any clicks and pops.)

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.org.uk>