[Vorbis-dev] unofficial tags

Didier Dambrin didid at skynet.be
Thu Aug 9 01:47:42 PDT 2007

Hi there.

Anyone knows about unofficial ogg tags, like for example, tempo information
like in mp3's?
I understand that one could come up with its own tags, but maybe there are
apps already embedding tempo information in oggs?

Another question: I'm thinking of ogg being nice to encode samples for
sampler use. This introduces several problems:

-side frame problems. Ogg deals with this pretty well, unlike mp3 (junk at
beginning/end of decoded data)

-looping: I don't think any lossy compression would deal with this too well,
but it's not that bad with ogg. Now is it technically possible to -not-
compress frames that'd be around the loop points, so that the decoded result
would still loop perfectly?

-embedded info: wav files contain lots of such sampler info, slicing
markers, tempo, etc. That can be put in tags I guess. At the same time, IMHO
the best is still to use vorbis compression in a wav, instead of the ogg
format. Which is what we do right now, and aside the little problems with
the cool japanese vorbis ACM codec we're using, we still have to deal with
the looping problems.

thanks