[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonics in Ogg Vorbis

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Tue Apr 17 13:23:15 PDT 2007

Paul Martin <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Getting stereo from Ambisonics is a very simple job -- just a matter of
> which matrix you multiply with. The crudest way would be to use L=(W-X)/2
> and R=(W+X)/2 and ignore all other channels.

Looks like a typo crept in.  The X-channel points
forward, so I suspect you meant Y which points
left.

As I explain at:
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Ambisonics#Default_channel_conversions_from_B-Format
   "Starting from B-Format, it is possible to
    synthesize any mic response pointing in any
    direction. Hence, it is possible to synthesize
    all coincident stereo mic techniques."

What is suggested (with Y instead of X) will work,
but is just one possible mix from an infinite set.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese