[Vorbis-dev] Query: Can i develope vorbis decoder on ARM processor

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Jan 18 12:02:26 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:46:32PM +0000, kshemanth vasireddi wrote:

>          I am PG student,  i want to do  project  on  ogg  vorbis as  my final sem   project.  I want to know  wether it is possible to develope  a  vorbis decoder on ARM.
>   We have ARM7TDMI .

Yes, most ARM cores are fast enough for realtime vorbis decode, and
implementing a new decoder is a possible post-graduate semester project
(but not undergraduate, that's a challenging time-frame!)

Note that there already is an open source integer implementation
(called 'Tremor') which runs well on ARM, so you do have the option
of building a more sophisticated project on top of that if you wish.

We're always happy to see new from-scratch implementations though;
it's about the only way to find bugs in the specification document.

Hope that helps,
 -r