[Vorbis-dev] Ogg Player Code

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 14:27:39 PDT 2006

Prashun Gupta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In one of my recent assignments, I was asked to develop a ogg player.
>
> I am not able to find the right repository of the source code. There are few repositories on vorbis but I am not clear which one is the right one for Windows environment.
>
> If somebody has successfully compiled any ogg player ever, his ideas will be helpful to me.
>
> In one of the code set, I was able to compile the decoder_example and encoder_example but how to use them is still not clear.
>
> Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

<http://www.xiph.org/svn/>
If I remember correctly the {decoder,encoder}_example read standard
input and write to standard output.  I don't know if you can do the
necessary redirection on the Windows command line to make that useful.
In Unix it would look like
./encoder_example < in.wav > out.ogg

You should however be able to simply change the file handles used so
they access files.

It sounds like you've got trunk/vorbis and trunk/ogg these will let
you build a basic player, the simplest thing to do is use libvorbisfile,
have a look at vorbisfile_example.c to see how that's done.

Finally, depending what you want to do, Illiminable's DirectShow filters
might be more appropriate, see <http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/>.
(These are also in svn as trunk/oggdsf)

--
imalone