[Vorbis-dev] lack of detail for exception in ov_open

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Wed Jun 15 23:06:36 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 01:58:20AM -0400, Steve Russell wrote:
> I went to a release build and got a defaultlib "library" conflicts with use
> of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library" warning.  In Project Settings -
> Object/Library modules, I have specified "vorbis/vorbisfile.lib
> speex/libspeex/libspeex.lib."  So I commented out all of my Speex code (not
> yet implemented), and now -- in my Release version ONLY -- ov_open is
> succeeding.

A general tip: compile all static libraries and all applications, both when
in debug and release, as "Multithreaded Release".  This will disable runtime
stack checks that the "Debug" libraries give you, but they're not worth
the migraines; you can get a small performance increase by using the "Single-
threaded" libraries, but most nontrivial applications end up using threads
(directly or indirectly) eventually, and the gain is, again, not worth
the migraines of using other runtimes.

If you really want to use a debug CRT for debug builds, you'll have to compile
a debug version of every static library you use with that same CRT--I used
to have eg. "ogg_d.lib", "zlib_d.lib", but that mess goes away if you get
rid of debug CRTs (or, alternatively, use dynamic libraries).

--
Glenn Maynard