[Vorbis-dev] lack of detail for exception in ov_open

Steve Russell srussell at innernet.net
Tue Jun 14 21:55:25 PDT 2005

I am having one frustrating time trying to decipher why ov_read is failing in my MFC/C++ application, and I see in Google results that others have had difficulty as well.  These google discussions generally involve libraries, dll's and linking options, as though there are perhaps some basic incompatibilities between ogg vorbis and win32 and/or MFC/C++.  Very confusing.

If I pass fopen a fictitious filename, ov_open returns the proper error.  However, if I pass a legitimate filename, ov_open crashes without giving me any apparent clue.

Would anybody have a comment or suggestion?  I get no responses whenever I post in the codec forums, so I am posting here.  Some kind of clue would certainly be much appreciated.

"Unhandled exception in Room 101.exe (NTDLL.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation."

OggVorbis_File vf;
 FILE* pFile;
 pFile = fopen("test.ogg", "rb");
 if(!pFile)