[Vorbis-dev] Re: oggdec/ogg123 cannot play stream files

Christian Jaeger christian.jaeger at ethlife.ethz.ch
Sun Aug 7 17:57:39 PDT 2005

Hello

I'm following this up to the vorbis-dev mailing list (and bcc to
you). Thanks for your repsonses.

At 15:09 Uhr -0500 07.08.2005, Graham Mitchell wrote:
>  > b) concerning oggdec and ogg123:
>  > - neither is able to read from a pipe nor a fifo, as it seems.
>
>Yes, the "ogg123" from a pipe bug was actually just fixed in CVS during the
>last week, so try that if you want.  Not sure if that fix helps oggdec or
>not.

thanks for the hint

>By the way, typically you'll get more luck posting such things to the
>[vorbis-dev] mailing list rather than mailing individual developers directly.

yes, I was just too lazy (after finding the broken bug repository) to
try to find it -- now in the Cc.

At 20:11 Uhr +0200 07.08.2005, Michael Smith wrote:
>  > b) concerning oggdec and ogg123:
>>
>>  - neither is able to read from a pipe nor a fifo, as it seems.
>>    this prevents me from using them for continuously decoding an
>>    incoming ogg stream. (I want the ogg stream both be captured as
>>    file, and decoded on the fly, so using http url's for ogg123 is also
>  >   out.)
>
>I can't help you with ogg123, but oggdec (which I wrote) reads quite
>happily from pipes - I use it like that all the time.

hm I'll have to test again.

>If you can be a lot clearer about precisely what doesn't work, I can
>look into it.
>
>  >
>>  - decoding a captured ogg stream with oggdec doesn't work, with ogg123
>>    it sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't:
>
>This also works fine for me with oggdec, but again you gave no details
>about what you did with oggdec to make it fail.

I'll put oggdec to the waiting line for now.

I've put up the file which is giving troubles with ogg123 now, so you
can download it and try for yourself. Unluckily, it's quite big, and,
interestingly, it *has* to be big, since only it's size is triggering
the problem.

Please read
  http://elvis-jaeger.mine.nu:5080/~chris/scratch/.ogg/Readme
then fetch the file if you like from