[Vorbis-dev] Opening a web cast FIFO

Bernd Löhr B.Loehr at hermstedt.de
Tue Apr 26 09:26:59 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to decode a (Ogg/Vorbis) web radio stream (FIFO) with Tremor
but always get error -132 (...not a Vorbis stream).
When writing and reading the stream as a file everything works fine
(also other ordinary Ogg files work well).
When writing the stream into a FIFO (created with mkfifo) the ov_open
(and all its relatives) fail. There is only one 1024 Byte block read -
and that's it.
I also exchanged the callbacks (using read/fread), tried O_NONBLOCK
etc. - no change. It looks, as if it cannot sync to a Vorbis header...

The FIFO on our Linux system is 8kB, I tried writing 1, 2 or 4kB
packets. The FIFO works fine when decoding MP3 streams, so I can rule
out a fundamental flaw.

I also forced Tremor to read from a file with seekable set to false -
this also worked up to the end of a song, then Tremor crashed.
Anyway, ov_open succeeded on the same data while it fails if it is a
FIFO.

Any idea or hint is appreciated.

Thanks
Bernd

PS: I'm new to this list - I looked through the archives and didn't
find anything similar to this problem, I also tried at the Tremor list,
but didn't receive any answers - sorry for the cross posting.