[Vorbis-dev] Java and ogg/vorbis

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Thu Apr 7 17:59:03 PDT 2005

Charles wrote:

> Also I want to encode short videos in Xvid and then encode the audio
> in vorbis. Then I want to stream this over the Internet using a Java
> applet. I will need to implement the vorbis and Xvid decoders in Java
> as part of my applet,  but where can ogg help me in this little ( or
> is the word confusing) project?

There are a few Java decoders for Vorbis. Conrad already mentioned
JOrbis, which is a more or less 1:1 rewrite of libvorbis and there is my
implementation (mostly written from scratch) with a more OO-ish API
available from http://www.j-ogg.de. I started implementing a Theora
decoder as well, but to be honest, Java and multimedia doesn't match
very well and seeing the lack of interest for my Vorbis decoder was one
of the reasons why I decided to not spend more time on the Theora decoder.

AFAIK, the best quality video codec with an available Java decoder is
On2's VP6 (Theora is based on VP3) and there is a working applet
directly on http://www.on2.com. Unfortunately, the sound support in
On2's applet is pretty mediocre, but I've already thought about trying
to integrate my Vorbis decoder, making it possible to stream VP6 video
and Vorbis audio. Available CPU power is however still a problem, as the
Java decoders are quite a lot slower than the native implementations.

Tor