[Vorbis-dev] Re: [Vorbis] newlines in vorbis comments

Haxe haxe at pansensack.de
Sun Sep 19 09:45:12 PDT 2004

Hey, I suppose you intentionally moved this thread from vorbis to
vorbis-dev? :-)

On Saturday 18 September 2004 23:17, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> I don't see the need for two new options, one option combined with
> each mode now ([-l]/-a/-w) will suffice.
Yeah, whatever. -e and -i just came to my mind.

> In fact, piggy-backing -R
> would probably do but the behavior-name mismatch would be too bad.
I think so too. -R is meant to handle UTF-8 text, not general binary
data. Maybe -b (for binary-safe) could do it?

> I wrote once a patch that did this.
Did what? Escaping (like \n) is only good for text input. It is not good
for general binary round-tripping. If the input routine of
vorbiscomment would support such a quoting style for the non-binary
input, that would be a very good start. But the binary roundtripping
option (maybe -b) we are talking about should have nothing to do with
escape characters.

> I could pick it up and submit a fresh version.  Any
> chance it will be included?
I hope so. Who maintains the vorbisomment program?

> One newline style (the unix one obviously ;-)) should be
> strongly recommended by the spec
This is a big thing that doesn't only influence the official xiph tools.
It can only be done by someone with real influence...

Haxe