[Vorbis-dev] Vorbis and .NET

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Sun Oct 3 01:09:04 PDT 2004

Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:

> 1) Think that Ogg/Vorbis/FLAC/Theora/etc. rock the house
> 2) Are willing and able to touch Managed C++ (or, in general,
> Microsoft-only
>   technologies) with considerably less than a 10' pole.
>
> I suppose this is one more thing that's holding up adoption.
> Suggestions on
> how to fix this problem, anyone?

I think a good start would be to admit that the Ogg formats really don't
rock the house compared to the default installation of media codecs on a
Windows system, probably still having a market share of >>95% on home
computers. The next step is to admit that the "free" argument is rather
relative if you compare the license costs for the mentioned codecs with
the labour costs for developing a user friendly software solution for
Ogg based services like media on demand. If we also admit, that the
multimedia industry won't allow providers to distribute content without
some sort of DRM restrictions, I think we're getting close to reality.

Sad. but true ...

Tor