[vorbis-dev] Reading OGG embedded in a pack file

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu May 6 17:15:54 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 12:49:14PM +0200, Andre Krause wrote:

> yes, you are right. i always search for quick and easy solution and
> forget in the meantime that vorbis is a low level codec library. so
> probably a wrapper lib is the right way. but as far as i understand
> vorbisfile is already a bunch of convenience functions? so to speak a
> wrapper lib ? so why not enhance a little bit vorbisfile ?

An enhancement that makes one thing easier and another harder isn't
really an enhancement.  Adding more and more specific features makes
the code less useful for other specific things that were not
previously envisioned.

But really, there's no reason to build it in underneath because it can
be done so easily with callbacks.  You can do the 'archive' trick in
about 50 lines (30 of my whitespace-impaired lines ;-).  A similar
example already exists in the documentation.  Perhaps this can serve
as another near-trivial example.

Monty