[vorbis-dev] Re: Vorbis over RTP

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat May 29 18:20:50 PDT 2004

Hi,

Just to add my 0.02$: I implemented some sort of vorbis RTP support
for icecast2, based on the implementation I did for mpeg support for
icecast1 some time ago, it is attached.

It is very basic: it doesn't support grouping pages, is not much
easily configurable at all (I daren't try to modify xml parsing...),
but *it works* with a patched version of xmms, based on the mpeg
support available as patch on the net.

The conditions were we use it here at school is just a very local
area network, with almost no lost at all.

Getting the CodeBook is indeed much an issue. The patch I adapted for
vorbis just waits for a bos-marked page, and uses it. In our conditions,
this is not that much a trouble, sinc bos-marked pages are sent at each
song change of our radio.

Recovering frame drops is quite buggy as well: they are merely dropped,
while inserting some fake "mute" page lasting for the same time should
be done instead, getting much better synchronization.

Regards,
Samuel