[vorbis-dev] RFC draft for Vorbis over RTP

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Wed May 26 08:23:42 PDT 2004

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Thus my statement that you could use existing scalability mechnisms... If
> you don't have access to something like that and there will be thousands
> of clients you're free not to provide http access to the headers. The
> disadvantage is that clients will get no audio unless they have the
> headers cached until you retransmit them.

So the proposed system would be something like this?

* The Client connects to the streaming server (e.g. using TCP)
* The server sends header-information
(* TCP-connection gets closed? Perhaps not a good idea - the connection
can be used for fallback-header-transport avoiding additional handshaking)
* Client receives audio-data over an unreliable transport mechanism

If a new header is necessary:

* Server transmits the header using the unreliable transport mechanism
* Client buffers header-data
* If the header is not transmitted (properly) the client can detect this
and request them using a reliable transport mechanism (fallback)

--
EN: Every mail bigger than 35 KByte will be deleted automatically from
my mailbox. Please contact me before sending any attachments.