[vorbis-dev] RFC draft for Vorbis over RTP

Gregory Maxwell greg at motherfish-II.xiph.org
Wed May 26 07:36:38 PDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Maik Merten wrote:

> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > A possible method of transmitting headers via unicast would be with via
> > http with URL transmitted in SDP. The advantage of using HTTP would be
> > that existing scalablity mechnisms (such as squid cache hierarchys or
> > reverse proxys like Akamai) for HTTP could be used.
>
> What will happen when you have _a lot_ of listeners for your streams?
> Won´t thousands (worst case?) of clients requesting headers over HTTP at
> the same time result in some sort of "DoS-attack"?

Thus my statement that you could use existing scalability mechnisms... If
you don't have access to something like that and there will be thousands
of clients you're free not to provide http access to the headers. The
disadvantage is that clients will get no audio unless they have the
headers cached until you retransmit them.