[vorbis-dev] Some Questions

Stephen So s.so at griffith.edu.au
Wed Mar 17 03:09:29 PST 2004

The current Vorbis I encoder uses the MDCT. Wavelets are planned for the
next generation of encoders (Vorbis II). :)

Best regards,

Steve.

Kim Kyung-wook wrote:

> Dear, all
>
> I haven't gone through all specifications of this project in detail.
> but it seems to me you are using Wavelet Transform as the basis of
> transform. If my impression was right, I got some questions about your
> project.
>
> 1) Wavelet Transform makes it very easy to code the scalability
> features...so I am wondering when you are developing this project, did
> Scalability come first ?..or just you want to improve the coding gain
> comparing with the conventional DCT basis Transform ??...
>
> 2) If the improvement of coding gain was the main objective of this
> project...Have you ever compared your project with H.264, which was
> technically approved by ITU...If you have, how did it come out ?
>
> I'd really appreciate your reply.
> Thanks.

Stephen So, BEng(Hons)

PhD Student,
Signal Processing Laboratory,
School of Microelectronic Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology,
Griffith University, Nathan Campus,
Brisbane, QLD, Australia, 4111.

Phone: +61-7-3875 3754
E-mail: s.so at griffith.edu.au